The Department of Science and Technology's (DST) "Ten-Year Innovation Plan: towards a knowledge-based economy" recognises the importance of science and technology in improving the country's competitiveness and economic growth. The waste sector is recognised by Government as one that provides such opportunities for job creation and economic development, particularly in areas of waste collection and processing.
The DST has put this project in place, facilitated by the CSIR, to develop a 10-year Waste R&D and Innovation Roadmap for South Africa. The project includes three phases:
- Phase 1 - Status quo assessment (current phase)
- Phase 2 - Development of the Waste RDI Roadmap
- Programme to improve skills in the sector
- Policy, institutional and financial interventions developed
- Phase 3 - Implementation of the Waste RDI Roadmap
- DST instruments actively implementing the programme
This website provides a platform for sharing of project information and outputs with stakeholders in the waste sector.